Clams and Linguine
Quick and delicious pasta with clams.
- 1 lb. dried linguine cooked according to directions
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp. thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine, divided
- 8 oz. clam juice
- 18 oz canned clams minced or chopped, juice reserved
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper (use black pepper in a pinch)
- 16 small fresh clams
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped for garnish
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, optional garnish
- Boil the dry pasta noodles according to the package directions minus 1 minute. Drain and toss with a little olive oil to keep them from sticking together.The pasta will finish cooking in the clam liquid.
- Place a Dutch oven or large, high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and butter together and heat until the butter is just melted. Make sure the butter doesn't brown or burn. Add the shallot, garlic, and thyme and sauté for one minute to bloom the aromatics.
- Add the white wine and use a spoon to scrape any bits off the bottom of the pot. This is called deglazing. Stir in the clam juice and reserved canned clam juice. Bring to a simmer for 1-2 minutes. The sauce will be very brothy.
- Add canned clams and simmer for 10 minutes. Do not overcook or clams will become rubbery. Clam juice is briny and adds saltiness, so adjust the salt after adding the juice and clams. Taste along the way, adding salt as needed.
- In a separate skillet, add a half cup of white wine and arrange the clams around the skillet without crowding. Give them room to open. Add enough water to fill in around the clams to help steam them open. Place over medium heat and cover. Allow them to steam for 5-7 minutes or until they open entirely. Disgard any clams that do not open.
- While the fresh clams are steaming, use tongs to gently toss the cooked pasta into the clams that have been simmering. Flip around until the noodles are completely coated and clams are evenly distributed through the pasta. Simmer over low heat to finish cooking the pasta.
- When the fresh clams are steamed open, divide the pasta with clams into four pasta bowls. Top each with fresh clams and a garnish of parsley and optional red pepper flakes.